Thursday, June 15, 2017

I'll try this for now, but I'm not I'm not getting my hopes up

I think I may have figured out a somewhat suitable solution for my "kids get the screamies and I just want coffee" problem.

I run myself into the ground before asking for help. I try to do everything myself......because that's what I feel like I should be doing. I'm not working, so I need to save money and not get babysitters. At least, that is what guilt is telling me.

Honestly, to maintain good mental health, I need to schedule times throughout the week to take breaks. Whether that's setting up a babysitter in advance, or talking with my husband about a good time for him to watch the kids, or whatever, I think I could use an hour away a couple days a week. Any more than two hours and I run out of things to do, or I feel like I'm falling behind on all the tasks two young boys require you to do.

The thing is though, I'll do this "take care of me" priority for like a week, if even that. Then, things come up and it's the first to go out the window. I'm the first to sacrifice myself when times get tough. I know I am going to do it again and again. Because I'd die for my family. I love them.

But they are going to kill me if I don't take care of myself.

3 comments:

  1. Mary! Yes! I read your last post and struggled to come up with an answer for what to do for the screamies...but you've answered it. I started doing this in January--I hired a sitter for 2 hrs per week until wrestling season ended. After season ended I talked with Patrick about the best day for him to take over for 2 hrs--and I put it in as an "appointment" on our google calendars. That way there was less excuse for him to forget or me to find reasons not to leave. Just to have that time to look forward to, and somewhat of a routine (sometimes I'd have to switch days), has been AMAZING. I hope and pray you get to do this for yourself! Easier said than done. But I believe in you. :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***I should clarify that it hasn't been the end-all-be-all, THE solution to fix everything, but I HAVE loved the breaks--it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so inspired by your encouragement. Sometimes all it takes is for one other person to say, "yes, you have permission to take care of yourself".

      Delete