Friday, June 30, 2017

Because I LOVE reading books. Because I LOVE to learn. And maybe you do too!

So this book...

A Mother's Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul

By Holly Pierlot

About the vocation of MOTHERHOOD. Why didn't anyone tell me about this book before I had kids?!?! Babies don't come with an instruction manual, unfortunately. But this book is the closest thing you can read on how to live a happy, fulfilling, stress-free life with kids.

Before I read this book, I thought kids and chaos went together like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Handling chaos is not one of my strengths. For that reason, I've always been attracted to the religious life. My Aunt and Godmother is a Dominican Sister of the St. Cecilia Congregation in Nashville, TN. I thought I was called to be a religious sister when I was in college. But, long story short, I was just attracted to the tranquility, the schedule, the beauty, the simplicity, the apparent peace and joy that comes with that certain kind of closeness to Our Lord. There was no way to achieve that "spirituality" being a mom..........or was there? Longer story even shorter, I am married with two kids. Holly says there is a way to bring a "Rule" into your home without putting your kids up for adoption and joining an religious order.

I finally have an understanding of my vocation as a mother. Sure, I'm not perfect in putting it into practice. But it's a hel'ov'a lot better. I have direction. I have purpose. Being a mom has so much more meaning now.

If you read this beautiful book, please don't let it overwhelm you. Holly had older kids when she wrote it. With little little kids, it is practically impossible to stick to a time schedule. And I didn't write things down as I read, like she recommends. I just read the whole thing and took the spirit of it and applied it to my own particular season of life.

And let me say....life changing. for me. right now. at this time in my life. 'nough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment