Thursday, May 11, 2017

Please let me sleep

Sleep is really important.

Understatement of the day.

My 8 month old son won't let me sleep. I've tried for months to help him, but nothing seems to be working. I'm try to be consistent. I'm trying to train him to fall asleep on his own. But when he's been awake for 2-3 hours during the night, then what? I'm desperate for some more sleep.

How can I take care of myself when I'm taking care of two little kids?

My list of old coping skills makes me laugh:
"Take a walk
Call a friend
Take a nap
Crochet
Pray a rosary
Take a shower"

While those things are great, surely still to work, there's no way I can do those things when I need to anymore.

With little sleep and little time to take care of myself, my patience occurs less and my short-temper appears often. I hate being so angry at an 8 month old.

Now I'm angry that I'm angry.

Now I'm too tired to be angry anymore. I'm just sad.

Sometimes it helps me to remember that the ultimate goal is to get to Heaven, not to get your kids to sleep through the night.

That line only works on me since taking antidepressant medication. And I can only take a deep breath and let it go after two cups of coffee, as well.


“When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”

-Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

No comments:

Post a Comment