Friday, March 7, 2014

One Way to Counteract False Feelings about Yourself

Feelings can be very deceptive.  In the troughs of difficult feelings, it can be challenging to stay grounded in reality.  When my anxiety is high or my depression unchecked, I have very low self-worth and often let the verbal abuse run rampant in my head.

In order to defeat the lies that seem like the truth at the time, I post positive phrases around my house or memorize them in order to repeat their truth over and over again.

Right now, some of my favorites are:

“Today a little work; tomorrow eternal rest.” – from the book, My Sisters the Saints, by Colleen Carol Campbell.

Feelings are NOT facts.

I am loved despite my faults and failures.

“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.”– Mary Anne Radmacher

Lots of people struggle with depression like I do.  I am not alone in my pain and suffering.

“I do not have to do great things, only small things with great love.” – Mother Teresa of Calcutta

I can’t hate my way into loving myself.

“No one can make me feel inferior without my consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

I need love the most when I feel I deserve it the least.

It’s OK to ask for help.

If you’d like some more ideas, check out Therese’s Blog post, 15 Affirmations to Say When You’re Depressed.

2 comments:

  1. Some of the ones I like repeating to myself are: "It's okay to feel the way you are feeling," "Thanks mind, for that thought, " "Jesus, I trust you", "Remember all the people who are suffering the way you do, this is an illness, it is not your fault, " "You are not alone and you are loved." The best thing I've found is not to equate my worth with my brains inability to be happy or have enthusiasm. I can choose to do things I value, but when depressed I can't choose to feel or not feel the mental pain (distract from it perhaps!). Oooh! Also I acknowledge that I am doing everything in my human power to get better, but that I am limited and that God is not. He has the power to heal me this instance and if He chooses not to he'll bring purpose to my suffering. Mary, how have you educated your close family and friends about what you go through in a proactive way. Sometimes I just feel that if I bring up the fact that I am still not well, I'm just being a downer or I know I'll just get the, "Oh, you'll cheer up soon, your life is so great!" speech. - F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all really great things to say to yourself when you're down. Thank you for sharing!!!

      Considering family and friends:
      After I first got out of the hospital, I sent an email to close friends and family about what I was going through and how they could help. I think I linked it to this blog at one point...I'll look for it and get back to you.
      I know how it feels to always be the debbie-downer. I still struggle to be honest for fear of being misunderstood. My guess is your loved ones either don't know how to help you or you're projecting your fears on how they would react.
      It would be good to gather information for your loved ones to read. That way they can better understand what you are going through and how they can help.
      As for the other reason, for me, I sometimes feel like I am being a burden and no one wants to hear my woes again and again and again. But, it is likely that your family and friends love you and want whats best for you. They don't mind helping or listening to you talk. If they do, then it is good to find at least one or two people you can open up to on a regular basis.
      Good Luck! And if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

      Delete